Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Squatters

Koreans have some good knees. I'm always amazed at how easily--and frequently--Koreans choose a squat for leisurely rest. It seems they can hold the position for indefinite periods of time, too. If I squat for more than two minutes, the look on my face is far from the content, relaxed demeanor of the nimble Koreans around me. And as you'll see in the photos, age appears to have no bearing on squatting ability or endurance. I'm truly in awe.

Squatting in Gangneung, Gangwondo

Squatting on the sidelines of a protest in Yeouido, Seoul

Squat while you work in Gangneung, Gangwondo

Squatting at Seoraksan National Park

Squatting on a mountain

4 comments:

matt said...

good lawd, woman! hurry back, already! you're missed! xo

Mei Lim said...

Haha, I happened to know your blog from korean blog list and this is the funniest posting I've evenr seen in Korean related blogs! I haven't thought this 'squatting' would look interesting. (Yeah, I am Korean, I am so used to it!) Your insight for Korean culture is awesome!

Abby Rhodes said...

Hi, Mei!

Thanks for checking out my blog, and for the wonderful compliments! I've always envied Koreans for their strong knees. I don't think I could squat for more than two minutes at one time!

Thanks again!
Abby

Grace said...

i'm used to the squatting thing but man.. i'm impressed by that man wearing dress shoes on a mountain!