Friday, January 16, 2009

Never . . . eating . . . McDonald's . . . again . . .


Although I've indulged in Mickey D's more often than I'd like to admit in in the Unites States, I've largely avoided it since moving to Seoul. This is mostly because I've tried to establish and maintain a healthier lifestyle, but also because I always fear that locals who see me entering the store will think, "Check out the fat American going in for a Big Mac!"

But after my friend and KBS co-worker, Luke, and I underwent a months-long diet and exercise regimen (during which french fries and cheeseburgers started to sound mighty appetizing) we decided to take a trip to McDonald's to devour all the greasy, salty, mystery meaty goodness we could possibly stomach. And the point was to eat as much as we could. We wanted to kill the temptation once and for all, or at least for the next six months or so. So after hitting my lowest weight since high school earlier this week we decided now was as good a time as any to embrace our inner over eaters.

Between us, we ate one Big Mac, six cheeseburgers, one McChicken sandwich, two medium orders of french fries, one large order french fries, three strawberry milkshakes, one chocolate milkshake, three Cokes, and about twelve packets of ketchup. For me, it was literally a gut-wrenching experience. For one thing, I don't handle dairy well in this country, so I was feeling sick half way through the first milkshake, yet proceeded to drink the rest plus one more. The physical implications started there and quickly spiraled downward. The next morning Luke claimed the food extravaganza had given him acne. Neither of us is craving McDonald's anymore, though!



Luke used McDonald's nutrition facts to calculate our caloric intake. As he itemized our smorgasbord of gluttony on grease-stained receipts I wriggled around in my chair, trying to find the most comfortable position for my bulging belly and aching midsection. The result: 3,500 calories for Luke and 2,375 for yours truly.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Back Eun Sil and I am a student of Sookmyung Women University. First of all I appreciate your consideration for Korea. I would like to introduce Korean culture more, so would like to I send you an e-mail about that. My e-mail address is adqz86@hanmail.net
I will wait your e-mail. Thank you very much. :)

please check up on reference link.
http://wzdfactory.com/gallery/detail/297

Anonymous said...

OMG hahahahahahah I laughed SOOO HARD reading this entry Abby! Oh gosh, I can't believe that you two actually went to McDonalds and ate all this!!!! WOW! You guys are hilarious. I was kinda craving Mcdonalds today but I decided to go out for buffalo wild wings instead! haha i miss you guys!! Say hello to Luke for me! :D

Anonymous said...

You, probably, were mistaken?

Anonymous said...

Technology really is an inescapable aspect of our daily lives, and I am 99% certain that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets less expensive, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about almost every day.

(Submitted using Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4i[/url] PostNext)