Thursday, September 18, 2008

Shopping for traditional Korean clothing (hanbok)

Koreans and Japanese spend plenty of time pointing out their differences, but when it comes to traditional clothing, or at least what they call traditional clothing, both cultures keep it very simple. The Japanese have the kimono, which literally means "thing to wear". In Korea, the typically bright, flowing traditional attire is called hanbok, or "Korean clothing". Several weeks ahead of Chuseok, Korea's annual harvest festival, big box retailers and department stores started stocking racks and racks of low-priced hanbok. These days, it's mostly kids who wear hanbok for holidays, but newlyweds also wear the attire during the first major holiday after their wedding. I also noticed several elderly folks donning the traditional garb last weekend. I recently accompanied Sophia on a mission to purchase a hanbok for a four year-old American boy. For a variety of options and high quality, we headed to a group of hanbok stores in Yeongdeungpo.

One of the shop owners told us a high quality hanbok for adults averages $700. Most Korean couples wear hanbok for the traditional portion of their wedding ceremony.



I made the mistake of telling Sophia I didn't think an American boy would be too enthusiastic about pink pants, although Korean men are more than comfortable wearing hanbok in bright pastels. She clearly wasn't thrilled about my suggestion of this option due to its more masculine colors.


Sophia at the height of frustration. We eventually agreed on some bright blue pants.

Traditional food among traditional textiles

9 comments:

Roboseyo said...

Hi, Abby. I like your blog, and especially your photography. Keep up the good work!

Charles Montgomery said...

Heh.. that weasel Roboseyo got here first. Oh well, his blog is also better than mine!

My name is Roger Wellor (I found you on the Korean Blogger site) and I’m doing a study of the successes and failures of Korean International Tourism Marketing. I have a brief survey online that I invite you to take. It is designed to be answered by Korean/US bloggers and to give a slight outline of how these cross-cultural thinkers evaluate Korea’s International Marketing.

Your email will not be used for anything other than this survey (in fact it is not a required field in the survey) and if you have any questions, I can be contacted here at rwellor@spunangel.com.

Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=C1BZDkamZB1C03Q_2ftJTkVw_3d_3d

thank you,

Roger…

Abby Rhodes said...

Roboseyo and Rwellor,

Thanks so much for your comments! I'm still new to the Korean blogging community, although I've been blogging for about a year now. It's nice to know that what started out as an easy (and hopefully interesting) way for my family and friends to keep tabs on me can also be entertaining to a wider audience.

Abby

Anonymous said...

Hi, I will be in Korea for Lunar new years. I arrive in the evening on Sat 24th Jan 2009 and leave in the morning of Tuesday 27th Jan.
I would like to buy a hanbok while I am there. I was wondering if you know whether stores would be open and whether you could recommend somewhere to go to buy one. Preferably somewhere with fixed prices - I always seem to end up paying double when Im supposed to bargain !

mumbai said...

Nice blog,i liked it

surat said...

Nice blog,i liked it

Anonymous said...

hurricaneabbyhitsseoul.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading hurricaneabbyhitsseoul.blogspot.com every day.
instant loans
loans

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I dream the brief should secure more info then it has.