Tuesday, November 13, 2007

And I thought I looked like Wonder Woman

In my limited experience in Asia, I've found that it's typical for people, upon meeting Caucasians, to liken one white face to another. We've all heard boorish references made about all the people of any particular race looking the same, but I've been very surprised by the specific likenesses to which I've been compared.

When I visited Japan during my senior year of high school, someone said I looked like Jodi Foster . . . not sure where that came from.


Last week I was interviewing a professor from Yonsei University. He said I look like Hillary Clinton. Gee, thanks.


But by far the most curious . . . and hilarious . . . comparison came up as I was leaving KBS yesterday. Sophia introduced me to a man who manages the KBS radio studios. As we shook hands, he looked at Sophia and rattled something off in Korean. I thought I heard the word, "fiancee," and I thought, "Wow, that's forward. You could have at least asked me to dinner first!" What he said, though, was "BEYONCE"! So, I guess I fall somewhere in the spectrum between the progressively more haggard looking Hillary Clinton and the tall, voluptuous African-American, Beyonce Knowles.

No comments: