Friday, October 5, 2007

Feeling right at home

Four different co-workers commented today about how quickly I've integrated into life and work here in South Korea. Sophia said, "It's like you've been here a whole year already!" It's true, I guess. I feel very comfortable and I'm already establishing daily routines that tell me I'm settling in. Although KBS is an enormous complex with maze-like halls and tricky hidden elevator access, I already feel confident navigating my way around and am starting to recognize faces and engage with people around me. I thought there would be other Americans around, but as far as I can tell I'm the only one, so I attract some interesting looks and stares being the solitary blue-eyed chick in the crowded elevator. Usually, the scenario goes something like this:

Korean #1 looks in my direction.

Korean #1 turns to Korean #2 and whispers something in his/her ear. I imagine it's something like, "There's a white chick over there,"

Korean #2 turns and acknowledges the "white chick over there" while Korean #1 faces forward, assuming I have no idea what just transpired.
It's hilarious.

I'm entering some unchartered territory as I start hosting and co-hosting a variety of programming on KBS World Radio. I'm used to news reporting and a serious approach to the delivery of news and information, but some of the programs I'm producing and hosting are very light-hearted and chatty. The programs I'm taking over will undoubtedly take a more newsy, informative approach, incorporating more interviews and news analysis. At least once a week, however, I'll be shaking off my professional facade and introducing popular Korean music hits and reading letters from loyal (sometimes questionably loyal) listeners from around the world. It's entertaining, an opportunity to laugh at myself and my poor Korean language skills, and a good way to test my ability to think on my feet. If you're interested in listening to my comical debut as a radio talk show host, look for the "World Wide Friends" program on the KBS World Radio website.




No comments: