Tuesday, October 2, 2007

First days in Seoul

NOTE: I wrote this entry a few days ago, but haven't had Internet access in my apartment until just now. I have so much more to tell, so I'll be posting all night! Also . . . the website I use to create the blog is now entirely in Korean, so it may take me awhile to figure out how to post photos.

I arrived in Seoul around 4:00PM Saturday and it’s now Sunday morning. I must say, I’m feeling overwhelmed already, yet anxious to start working, meeting people, and working toward a comfort level in this foreign place. So far I’ve met my boss, Sophia, her daughter, Debbie (age 7), and my German colleague, Sebastian. Sophia and Debbie picked me up from the airport yesterday with warm and welcoming hugs. Debbie is a little shy, but Sophia says she’s taken a quick liking to me (she always wants to sit by me).

The KBS driver took us directly to my apartment where I was astounded by the size of the place. I was expecting the type of breadbox, sleep-in-a-drawer type arrangement I’ve seen in Japan, but my apartment has four large rooms (kitchen/dining, living, bedroom, study) and a good-sized bathroom with a full bathtub. And the best part . . . a toilet equipped with an electric seat warmer and bidet! I was so intrigued by these fancy outfits during my last trip to Japan, so discovering that I have my very own was surly one of the highlights of my first day in Seoul.

As I started to look around my apartment, I quickly realized that much of my “preparedness” was for not. Although several Internet websites indicated I could use American electronic appliances with a simple adapter in Korea, it turns out I hauled a hairdryer, curling iron, iron (Sophia said, “An iron?! What DIDN’T you bring?!” ), DVD player, and several other home comforts only to toss them into my storage closet until it’s time to pack up to head back to the States. I will say, however, that the last-minute stroke of genius that told me to bring a roll of toilet paper was perhaps the best packing decision I made. I suppose it all comes back to the basics.

After our workout (schlepping my three 50+ pound suitcases into my apartment), Sophia invited me back to her home where she gathered some kitchen necessities and other items she’s letting me borrow until I have a chance to buy everything I’ll need. I feel very fortunate to have someone like Sophia take me under her wing. Many foreigners who come to work in Korea and other parts of Asia are placed in more rural areas where few people speak English, so I continue to remind myself how easy I really have it. Sophia’s English is very good and she’s very easy to understand. I’ve already been telling myself not to become dependent on her—that although she’s making things very easy for me, I should try to learn and use as much Korean as possible.

Sophia and Debbie took me out to dinner at—get this—a “Spaghetteria”. Sophia suggested that on my first night in Seoul I should eat something familiar to me. We parked in an underground garage below the restaurant complex and when Sophia stopped her car and parked directly in front of two other vehicles, I said, “What if these cars need to get out? Do you leave your keys with the attendant?” she replied, “No, this is what we do,” and pushed the gear shift into neutral. “They just push it if they need to get out.” The look on my face must have been priceless because when I said, “Really?!” Sophia broke into a hearty laugh. I have a feeling this is just the first of many conversations of this nature I'll have in the next year.

No comments: