Wednesday, October 17, 2007

No such thing as personal space

Last week I heard the phrase "touch culture" jokingly used to refer to the way Koreans push and shove with reckless abandon. Now, let me point out right away that my experience with the people here has been great. Koreans are very gracious, friendly, and extremely generous, but they have no concept of personal space.

When I was in college, my friend Sara used to "test" my personal space issues by inching closer and closer to me when we were together. I had no idea I was doing it, but every time she'd get closer, I'd take a step away. She thought it was hilarious and only filled me in on her little scheme after months of empirical research. So, clearly I value the little bubble around me.

Most of the time, this isn't problem unless you're in a crowded city bus or on the subway, but it really doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing. . . if someone bumps into you, steps on you, or knocks you upside the head with a shopping bag, you won't get an apology. It's as if there's a nation-wide agreement that since Koreans are so often in tight quarters, there's no need to excuse yourself every time you brush up against someone. I even saw an old man get kicked in the head by a half-asleep passenger on the bus yesterday! No apology!

Outside the public transportation system, however, I've had two experiences in the last 24 hours that have really tested my personal space issue. First of all, sales people in department stores. They will be ON you the second you step foot in their department and they will NOT leave your side until you exit. It drives me crazy. It makes for a very uncomfortable shopping experience when every time you touch something, even if you don't move it out of its place, there's someone right there behind you "fixing" it once you're finished looking.

This evening, I was walking across a bridge nearly as wide as a city street. There were only about five people on the bridge from one end to the other, so it wasn't crowded at all. After just getting off a city bus, I'm thinking, "Finally . . . some SPACE!" Then, out of nowhere, an elderly gentleman falls in stride with me so close that his arm is brushing mine as we walk. And he stays there! We walked the entire length of the bridge practically arm-in-arm. I suppose that makes Awkward Experience #49.

No comments: