Monday, October 29, 2007

A little side job

My students. Seohyeon, 9, left. Seojin, 8, right.



I started giving English lessons to two sisters, ages eight and nine, after work today. I will tutor them for one hour every Monday night. Although they attend an English institute, I was amazed at how well the girls could read. They hadn't seen any of the books before and were able to read them cover to cover, pronouncing everything almost perfectly. Although they can sound out words very well, I'm not sure how much of the story is comprehended. I stopped a few times to ask questions. After the character in one story, " . . . nodded in agreement," I asked the girls, "Do you know what it means to nod?" They just stared back at me blankly.

After reading four books we just sat and chatted and their mother brought out colorful trays teeming with fruit. When the subject of age came up, Seohyeon guessed "Teacher" is 32 (Ahhh!). Seojin was much more kind, guessing 23.

No comments: