Wednesday, October 3, 2007

North Korea and Mad Cow Disease

Every time I travel to a foreign country, I think it's interesting to hear what news stories are topping the headlines and filling the airwaves. The American media is often criticized for its lack of coverage of international news, and I think the complaints are generally legit. In many cases what's interesting is not whether a media company covers a story, but how they cover it--how much time/space is devoted to the issue, the tone of the reporting, and also what kind of perspectives develop as the punditry sets in.

Two newsy issues have come up in conversation with my co-workers this week. Over lunch on Sunday I asked Sophia if South Koreans worry about North Korea's nuclear potential. She laughed a little and said, "No, not at all." She's fully aware of the U.S. perception of North Korea ("Axis of Evil") and wasn't surprised when I told her that many Americans consider NK a threat. Sophia says the nuclear issue is hardly discussed in South Korea, but Koreans are irritated that their government continues to support North Korea financially.

On Monday, I was walking through the KBS department store with Sophia and Mr. Chen, an English service colleague. When we passed the meat counter, I made a comment about Illinois beef being very good. Both Sophia and Mr. Chen turned to me with almost horrified looks on their faces and said, nearly in unison, "You don't worry about Mad Cow Disease?!?!" I just started laughing and said, "No . . . " Apparently Mad Cow Disease has been big news in South Korea and since they know America is a huge exporter of beef, they assume it's a major concern in the States, too.

I'm not sure how much coverage the Inter-Korean summit is getting in the U.S., but it was ALL over the news in South Korea today. South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun took a symbolic stroll across the border to meet North Korean President Kim Jong-il. Most of my colleagues, Korean and otherwise, rolled their eyes in response.

No comments: