Sunday, October 28, 2007

Yes, Mom, I'm eating




Many people have asked me about food in Korea: if I like it, what I miss about American food (if there is such a thing as "American" food), and if I can buy American brands in local grocery stores. I really enjoy Korean food, and I'm surprised to report that I really haven't missed American food very much. I didn't think I'd be able to make it a week without Mexican food, but that hasn't been a problem, either. I did buy mass quantities of cheese, salsa, and tortillas last week at Costco that will probably satisfy my Mexican cravings for months. Costco offers many American brands and foods typically eaten in the States, but like Costco or Sam's Club in the U.S., you have to buy everything in massive portions.

I realized yesterday that I've now been in Korea for a longer period of time than I've ever spent in a foreign country. It's been four weeks and it's amazing how time has passed by so quickly. When I was still in the U.S. anticipating my move, I figured I'd have a "freak out" sometime between weeks three and eight. Once the newness wore out and the reality of a major life change set in, I thought maybe I'd question my decision, miss my friends and family in the U.S. terribly, and be anxious to trip home as soon as possible. So far, the opposite is true. I do miss friends and family, but the Internet and my phone make it possible for me to be in contact with people nearly as often as I was when living in the States. I am completely comfortable here, have integrated well into my work environment and living situation, and the place is seeming less and less "foreign".

No comments: